Monday, August 27, 2007

Crate Training



I know, I know, I know....maybe this is a little excessive...but I was just showing him how this soft crate is so spacious!! Believe it or not, in the previous picture, my 2 other golden retrievers were trying to get in here with us. We managed 2 1/2 dogs, plus me! Now THAT'S roomy!!!

I think having a dog that is crate trained is important. The crate can serve several purposes: a place to make sure they are safe when you are gone; a way to give the dog privacy in a busy environment; and a way to facilitate house training and introduction of other pets.

Luckily for me, Chief had already been crate trained by his previous owners...so the process was easy to re-introduce. A few simple sessions with the clicker, and he goes right into his "house". His previous owners had used the phrase "go to your house", and he still responds to that with good reliability. We did learn, however, that Chief has a bit of separation anxiety in newer environments (something which I am hoping to help overcome with increased exposure and socialization). Let's just say, better reinforcement on the zippered door is necessary. We've since decided that a hard kennel or wire kennel is more appropriate in the office. (Sorry Kelly--it was a brand new kennel that he pushed through. The one featured here is my travel kennel for one of my Goldens. He and I were just playing around in this photo.)

Tammy

No comments: